Ophthalmology at The Capstone Clinic:
At The Capstone Clinic, we aim to provide comprehensive eye care from the best eye doctors in Chennai, including pediatric ophthalmologist and neuro ophthalmologists who deal with complex systemic diseases that manifest in the visual system. The combination of some of the best Ophthalmologists in India and world-class infrastructure ensure that this speciality at our clinic is poised to be one of the top eye clinics in Chennai.
Ophthalmology is the branch of medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eye. The eye is a delicate part of the body and plays an important part in how the human brain sees and records things. If there is a malfunction or disruption in the eyes, it could cause development of further problems, such as a decrease in motor functions and hand and eye coordination; especially in babies and young children.
According to research and eye specialists who constitute our eye clinic in The Capstone Clinic,Chennai, the main causes for Ophthalmic problems are:
- Eye strain due to protracted reading or long working hours in front of computers or laptops.
- Lack of sleep or poor sleeping habits.
- Increased exposure to harmful rays such as UV rays, radiations, etc.
- Viral or bacterial infections in the eyes.
- Nutritional deficiency, e.g.- lack of vitamin A.
- Conditions like Diabetes cause prolonged, uncontrolled levels of blood glucose level, leading to Diabetic retinopathy.
- Congenital causes, e.g. – Night blindness.
- Mechanical injury (eye injury).
- Drug side effects such as dry eyes, and damage to optic nerve
Several diseases affect the eye, either directly or as part of a system-wide problem. Often serious, these conditions require immediate professional care to preserve your vision. According to our experts who are amongst the best eye doctors in Chennai our experts, the symptoms vary according to the disease and its progression. The most common signs and symptoms which require immediate medical attention are:
- Pain in the eyes.
- Blurred vision.
- Redness of the eyes.
- Sensitivity to light (also called Photophobia).
- Increased watering of eyes.
- Dryness, itchy eyes.
As a multispecialty clinic that caters to the whole family, we treat all our patients with a holistic approach. According to our leading ophthalmologist in Chennai, diagnosis of eye disease requires a history of signs or symptoms of the patient, as well as their family medical history to corroborate any findings and complete a diagnosis. Further tests including tonometry (to check the intraocular eye pressure), corneal topography (which is a computer assisted diagnostic tool that creates a three-dimensional map of the surface curvature of the cornea), dilated pupillary exam, retinal tomography (precise documentation of the optic nerve head), eye and orbit ultrasound and tests to detect the extent of involvement in any eye disorders. There are also some simple tests such as visual acuity test, visual field test, and slit lamp exam done to check the strength and correctness of the vision in the ophthalmic department of The Capstone Clinic to provide a comprehensive picture before treatment.
Our team of clinicians include the finest eye specialist in Chennai and are at par with the best eye doctors in India. They recommend some simple guidelines that can prevent ophthalmic problems:
- Intake of vitamin A rich foods such as red fruits and vegetables, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, etc.
- Incorporating Omega 3 fatty acid rich foods to retard the progression of diseases.
- Ensuring you maintain normal blood glucose levels.
- Using protective eye shades or sunglasses to safeguard your eyes from harmful radiations.
- Regular eye screening is recommended (once every 6 months) to ensure that any potential problems can be quickly identified and treated.